Monday 7 February 2011

News: Gary Moore RIP

I've always kept this blog as wide as I can when it comes to the definition of 'French' when it comes to music, so I'm putting as today's clip a version of Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore, the Irish guitarist who died at the weekend.

This has always been a favourite piece that he did. The guitar playing is just beautiful, capturing a perfect melancholy feeling.

I love the way Phil Lynott's vocals remain cool and low key, while the guitar does some extraordinarily emotional work. Really dramatic and affecting stuff without it becoming self-indulgent.

While best know for his work with Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore went on to be one of the most respected blues guitarists around, and you can hear those blues being articulated perfectly in this song.

I reckon he introduced the blues to a whole generation, and if I remember right the Crocojazz record shop in Paris, near the Pantheon, was a great place to pick up some blues music.

A longer obituary piece I wrote earlier is here>

No comments:

Post a Comment